You must get an ITIN if:
- You are required to file a US Tax Return (includes rental income, resident aliens, US source income)
- You need to complete a W-8ECI
- You sell a property in the U.S.
- Any other withholding requirements
How to get an ITIN:
- Must fill out form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Must have a reason for applying and attach supporting documentation
- You must prove your identity and your connection to a foreign country (most people use their passport)
3 options for submitting your passport
- You must submit original passport, or certified copies of these documents from the issuing agency. A certified document is one that the original issuing agency provides and certifies as an exact copy of the original document and contains an official stamped seal from the agency. You may be able to request a certified copy of documents at an embassy or consulate. The IRS will maintain these documents for up to 60 days.
- Designated IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) can verify original documentation and certified copies of the documentation from the issuing agency. There are long lines and feel like a DMV.
- A Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) can verify original documentation and certified copies of the documentation from the issuing agency. CAA will return the documentation immediately after reviewing its authenticity and are normally the same person helping to prepare the documentation.
We are CAAs and can verify your passports right in our office.
Call for your free